Tuesday, July 29, 2014

My Macro Upgrade


Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro

 I recently replaced my Canon 50mm macro lens with Canon's L Series 100mm macro lens. I was actually pretty happy with the 50mm but wanted something more (see ring picture above).

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS

I have been debating this for about 2 years now, so I finally made the jump! Even though I just got it, I can tell I won't be disappointed. It's sharp, fast, and I know I will have a lot of fun with it. The image stabilization is great and that will help so much when shooting video. Here's a shot right out of the box of my dog Sydney.

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude, i like the picture of Sidney. I've kind of wanted to get a macro lens but don't have the money to spend. Also, i'm very much an amateur photographer and can't really justify upgrades until i can use my stock lens well, but i'd love to get much better. What do you think of macro filters as opposed to a lens? Is there a really big difference in quality?

~RJ

Ricky Oliveras said...

Hi RJ,

That's a great question! There is actually another option I would recommend above macro filters. I would consider getting macro extension tubes. For about $20 (for manual shooting)-$80 (automatic shooting), you can get a set of extension tubes that will give you some really great macro capabilities.

It's a matter of preference but I would rank them like this…
1. Macro Lens
2. Extension Tubes
3. Macro Filter

Also, here's a great video I found to help explain some of the details with some examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKDcyR6jz_4

-Ricky