Thursday, September 11, 2008

first impressions

I miss you everyone! I’ve been in Thailand for less than a week. It’s a lot different than I expected it to be. It’s cool but we haven’t done anything yet. I can’t wait for Brian to get here! Life is not as I thought it would be.  We are kinda out in a jungle village.  There are tons of papaya and banana trees, passion fruits, and lots of other fruits growing everywhere.  Our property is surrounded by rice fields and farms.  There are cows and dogs roaming around and great views of the surrounding mountains.  The toilets are Asian style, you have to squat down, no sitting, and then pour water down to flush.  The showers are a big bucket of water that you pour over yourself.

 

We do have a lot here though.  There is clean running water, electricity, a kitchen, and a really awesome washing machine.  I have to walk or ride about a mile to the Pastor’s house for wireless internet. 

 

Next week we are doing health training and guess what they are going to make us do….…7 day fasting/detox/cleansing.  It doesn’t sound like fun at all but it’s supposed to be good for us and make us feel better when we’re done.  Pray for me!  I have to give up the food for a week (I love the food here!!!!).  This won’t be easy.  I’ve met a lot of cool people.  The Thai people are so friendly.  There’s so much to tell but writing a lot would be boring for you so I will leave it at that for now.  Miss you!  Don’t be afraid to email contact me.

2 comments:

Richie said...

Hey Ricky,

I'm glad that you make it ok. Mommy and I will be praying for you and I know that you will have a good impact with everyone. Good luck with your detox...

Love you,

Papi

Phoebe said...

Hey Ricky, glad you guys made it to Thailand! I'm sure this year will be amazing, even if it is very different than we all expected! God bless! From your fellow Thailand student missionary. (P.S. Hope you don't mind I added your blog address to my blog.:)